UPDATED: Nov. 13, 2015 8:22 p.m.
PARIS (CBS News/CBSDC/AP) — Scores of people have been killed in shootings and explosions around Paris Friday, including at least 100 people inside a concert hall where attackers seized hostages.
The hostage-taking was one in a series of at least six attacks across the French capital in the deadliest violence to strike France in decades.
Two French police officials said at least three attackers were killed when security forces launched an assault on the concert hall, which had been featuring an American heavy metal band.
One official described “carnage” inside the building, saying the attackers had tossed explosives at the hostages. There were at least six attacks across Paris.
Paris Prosecutor Francois Molins said in all, five attackers may have been killed across the city. He added the death toll in attacks across the city could exceed 120.
The Paris police prefecture told residents to remain home and avoid going out unless absolutely necessary.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks, and no clear picture of how many attackers were involved and if any were on the run.
Jihadists on Twitter immediately praised the attack and criticized France’s military operations against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) extremists.
CNN reports a hostage inside the Bataclan concert hall was tweeting for authorities to raid the theater because they are being slaughtered “one-by-one.” American band Eagles of Death Metal was playing at the concert hall when the attack happened.
“We are still currently trying to determine the safety and whereabouts of all our band and crew. Our thoughts are with all of the people involved in this tragic situation,” a statement on the band’s Facebook page reads.
Witness Julien Pearce, who was inside when the attack happened but was able to escape, told CNN that it was a “bloodbath” and he saw at least 20 bodies.
In addition to the deaths at the concert hall, a police official said 11 people were killed in a Paris restaurant in the 10th arrondissement and other officials said at least three people died when bombs went off outside a soccer stadium during a match between France and Germany.
A French police official confirmed to The Associated Press there were two suicide attacks and one bombing near the stadium.
The officials spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to be publicly named according to police policy.
A woman who said she was at the restaurant told France 24 television that diners fell to the floor when gunshots were directed at the restaurant’s window. She told France 24 that a woman lying next to her had a fatal injury.
At the White House, President Barack Obama called the attacks an “outrageous attempt to terrorize innocent civilians.”
French President Francois Hollande was at the game but was evacuated from the stadium. Hollande announced that France will be closing its borders following the attacks.
“This is a terrible ordeal that again assails us,” he said. “We know where it comes from, who these criminals are, who these terrorists are.”
Hollande declared a state of emergency and mobilized the military.
Under French law, the state of emergency can be decided in the event of “imminent danger following serious breaches of law and order.”
A mandatory curfew has been instituted in Paris. This is the first mandatory curfew in Paris since 1944.
A Vine clip was posted of a blast heard during the game.
You can hear the explosion here https://t.co/BqokqtBYIO— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) November 13, 2015
The attack comes as France has heightened security measures ahead of a major global climate conference that starts in two weeks, out of fear of violent protests and potential terrorist attacks.
Emilioi Macchio, from Ravenna, Italy, was at the Carillon bar near the restaurant that was targeted, having a beer on the sidewalk when the shooting started. He said he didn’t see any gunmen or victims, but hid behind a corner then ran away.
“It sounded like fireworks,” he said.
A senior U.S. law enforcement official told CBS News senior investigative producer Pat Milton the FBI has offered whatever help is needed to France. The FBI was meeting with French law enforcement late Friday.
A Department of Homeland Security official told CBS News correspondent Jeff Pegues that DHS was closely monitoring the unfolding events in Paris and “we remain in contact with our counterparts in the region”.
At this time, the DHS official said, there was no specific or credible threat to the United States.
The official went on to say that “DHS will adjust our security posture, as appropriate, to protect the American people” and coordinate with state, local, federal and international law enforcement and intelligence partners.
A New York police official said that the NYPD is stepping up security at all high profile locations in New York City as a precaution. The NYPD official said there is no current specific threats the decision to beef up security is out of precaution.
Police in the nation’s capital have sent extra officers to the French Embassy and other France-related sites and high-profile locations after the attacks in Paris.
France has been on edge since deadly attacks by Islamic extremists in January on satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo and a kosher grocery that left 20 dead, including the three attackers.
The restaurant targeted Friday, Le Carillon, is in the same general neighborhood as the Charlie Hebdo offices.
The country has seen several smaller-scale attacks or attempts since, including an incident on a high-speed train in August in which American travelers thwarted a heavily armed Islamic radical trying to attack passengers.
(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)