MANASSAS, Va. — The Sept. 23 shooting of a man wielding a crowbar was justified, prosecutors in Prince William County say.
Prince William County Commonwealth Attorney Paul Ebert said in a statement Friday that the officers were “in reasonable fear of death or serious bodily harm” when they shot 22-year-old Jonathan Alexander Diaz-Chavez on Sept. 23. Police had been called to the home for a report of a suspicious person.
Diaz-Chavez survived the shooting and was later charged with one count of aggravated malicious wounding of a law enforcement officer and jailed. A preliminary court date is set for Nov. 18.
Prince William County Police Chief Steve Hudson says an investigation is ongoing. A final review of the shooting will be conducted by the department’s Police Deadly Force Shooting Review Board.
Follow WNEW on Twitter
(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)