UPDATED: Aug. 17, 2015 6:51 p.m.

BELTSVILLE, Md. — About 40 men made their way to D.C. on foot Monday to bring attention to the issue of violence among young people in Baltimore.

The 300 Men March group started the walk Sunday night in Baltimore. The organization says it wants to raise awareness about its effort to address gun violence in the city. The group had marchers as young as 15-years-old and and old as 65-years-old.

https://twitter.com/300MenMarch/status/633290935871361024

WNEW’s John Domen caught up with the group as they were walking down Route 1 early Monday morning.

Nathan Thomas, one of the group’s captains says they are having a measurable impact in areas like the Belair-Edison community.

“Last year during the summer months this time it was 12 murders. This year it’s two,” says Thomas.

Some men wore shirts that said, “We must stop killing each other.”

“We have to do something now. Something has to happen immediately in order for these murders to be quelled,” said Sean Stinnett, a spokesman for the group.

One of the group’s main goals is to reduce homicides by 50 percent in five of Baltimore’s neighborhoods by getting young people to participate in violence prevention programs and mobilizing citizens.

“It’s becoming sad man. It’s a state of emergency I believe,” said marcher Jahi Faw.

The group is also asking for donations to spread awareness to its cause on GoFundMe.

The march ended at the White House around 2 p.m.

WNEW’s John Domen and Cameron Thompson contributed to this report. Follow John, Cameron and WNEW on Twitter.

Comments

Leave a Reply