WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — Mexico will not be paying for a wall at the border, no matter how much Donald Trump insists.
In an interview with Bloomberg, Eduardo Sanchez, the spokesman for Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, calls the Republican presidential candidate’s claims false.
“Or course it’s false,” Sanchez told Bloomberg. “It reflects an enormous ignorance for what Mexico represents, and also the irresponsibility of the candidate who’s saying it.”
Trump has drawn the ire of the Mexican government — not only with his comments about a wall at the border – but also calling immigrants crossing the border criminals and rapists.
“Mexicans in the U.S. work with passion, they do their jobs well,” Sanchez told Bloomberg. “His comments reflect an enormous lack of knowledge of the reality in the U.S.”
During an appearance in Michigan Tuesday, Trump said his campaign is prepared to lay out specific policy plans. He’s just not ready yet.
It was Trump’s first appearance as a presidential candidate in Michigan, where he decried China’s decision to devalue its currency and Ford Motor Co.’s planned $2.5 billion investment in Mexico. He told reporters in Birch Run, north of Flint, that he would announce policy specifics over the next two weeks, but cautioned: “You really have to be flexible on jobs and everything else.”
Trump, the real estate developer and former reality TV star who has been dominating the race this summer, said currency devaluation “means suck the blood out of the United States” and vowed that if he were president, a Ford plant planned in Mexico would be built in the United States, preferably Michigan.
Trump’s campaign so far has been dominated by one firestorm after the next, the latest involving Fox News personality Megyn Kelly’s debate questions. The former reality television star, furious over what he deemed unfair treatment, lashed out at Kelly and the network, telling CNN on Friday that during the debate Kelly had “blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”
But the feud between Trump and Fox News, one of the most powerful voices in Republican and conservative circles, appeared to thaw Monday after the network’s chairman, Roger Ailes, reached out to Trump directly to clear the air.
“I assured him that we will continue to cover this campaign with fairness & balance,” Ailes said in a statement
The billionaire businessman’s campaign has also begun soliciting fundraising dollars through its website. Despite the appeals, campaign spokeswoman Hope Hicks said Trump will continue to finance the campaign, but has “been overwhelmed by unsolicited contributions.”
She said Trump will match any money coming in.
Trump was pressed by reporters in Michigan on his lack of specific policy proposals since declaring his presidential run. He argued that, in business, flexibility is key.
Trump also refused once again to rule out a third-party run.
“I want to run as a Republican. That’s what I’m doing,” he said. “That’s the best way to win. I’m going to keep the door open on the other if I’m not treated fairly.”
(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)