WASHINGTON — A man has died after authorities say he was burned when he lit a cigarette while pumping gas in Riverdale.

Prince George’s County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady says the man suffered critical, life-threatening injuries and burns. He later died at a local hospital.

The man was pumping gas at a station on East West Highway and Kenilworth Avenue Sunday afternoon when he apparently lit a cigarette, setting himself and nearby gas fumes on fire.

Officials say a bystander extinguished the flames on the man.

The man has not yet been identified, but officials say he is a “senior citizen.”

The investigation is ongoing.

Follow WNEW on Twitter

Comments

Leave a Reply