LANHAM, Md. (WNEW) — Anne Arundel Community College students will now be able to learn about taking “advantage of business opportunities related to the legalization of marijuana.”
A new course, titled “Entrepreneurial Opportunities in Emerging Markets: Marijuana Legalization” launched Monday and was developed by Professor Shad Ewart, an assistant professor of business management at AACC.
“The people that made the money in the Gold Rush were not the guys with the nuggets,” Ewart said. “It was the people who sold them the picks, the shovels, made the blue jeans, opened the banks.”
Maryland became the 18th state to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana in 2014.
“I’m just trying to open their eyes to the opportunities,” Ewart tells The Baltimore Sun. “Be the guy that supplies the lighting, the nutrients, the dirt.”
According to the college, students will look at possible product and service opportunities. The course covers:
– The history of marijuana in the United States, including controversies and ethical issues.
– The economic and tax impact of marijuana legalization.
– Job creation as an outgrowth of marijuana legalization.
– The medical use of marijuana and its acceptance.
– The legalities and regulatory issues of these businesses.
– Demographics of potential customers.
– Challenges bringing these products and services to market, including getting financing.