BATON ROUGE, La. (CBSDC/AP) — Freshman U.S. Rep. Vance McAllister says he’s asking his family and constituents for forgiveness after a West Monroe newspaper published a video that it says shows the congressman kissing a woman who wasn’t his wife.
In a statement issued Monday, the Republican congressman said, “There’s no doubt I’ve fallen short and I’m asking for forgiveness.”
Despite the scandal, McAllister tells the Monroe News-Star that he is still running for re-election ““unless there is an outcry for me not to serve, and so far there has been an outpouring of support, not for my actions, but for me to continue to represent the people.”
“I have fallen short as a husband and a father, and I feel more ashamed than you can imagine,” McAllister told the News-Star. “I’ve asked them for forgiveness, and I’m asking forgiveness from my constituents who elected me to serve them.”
The Ouachita Citizen posted a video Monday of what it said was Dec. 23 surveillance video from inside McAllister’s congressional office in Monroe, showing McAllister and a member of his staff.
“I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I’ve disappointed,” McAllister said.
McAllister has represented Louisiana’s 5th District since November. He attracted national attention because of his endorsement from the bearded men of the “Duck Dynasty” reality TV show.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)