LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — Power companies are urging residents to be prepared for next week’s ‘Frankenstorm’ which is expected to impact the Washington area beginning Monday.
Experts are predicting more than $1 billion in damage from the storm’s high winds, heavy rains, strong tides and the potential of snow to the west.
Dominion Va. Power has compiled a list of 15 essential items to included in the emergency supply kit.
- Water: Minimum three-day supply (one gallon per person, per day)
- Food: Minimum Three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio (with extra batteries)
- Flashlight (with extra batteries)
- First aid kit
- Whistle (signals for help)
- Dust mask
- Plastic sheeting
- Duct tape
- Moist towelettes
- Garbage bags (with plastic ties)
- Wrench or pliers
- Manual can opener
- Local maps
- Cell phone with charger
It is also a good idea to have extra water on hand if you have pets.
Simple items to pass time such as board games, books and puzzles may also prove useful for children.
Other items to consider having on hand:
- Sleeping bags and blankets
- Clean clothes
- Fire extinguisher
- Personal hygiene items
- Paper and pencil