FAIRFAX, Va. (CBSDC) — Nearly 450 HOV violators were stopped by police on Tuesday as part of he “Capitol Region HOV Awareness Day” in Virginia and Maryland.
In all, the one-day crackdown yielded a total 646 summonses and arrests, including four fugitive criminal arrests.
Authorities from Virginia and Maryland State Police as well Alexandria Police, Arlington County Police, Fairfax County Police, Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police and Prince William County Police participated in the program.
Law enforcement targeted HOV violators on on Interstates 66, 95, 270, 395, and the Dulles Toll Road during morning and afternoon rush hour.
Two fatal crashes on Interstate 95 near the Dale City area forced authorities to suspend the HOV violation efforts during the morning rush hour.
HOV Violations By The Numbers
- HOV 1st Offense: 426
- HOV 2nd Offense: 18
- HOV 3rd Offense: 4
- HOV 4th Offense: 1
In addition to the HOV citations, law enforcement officials also reported the following:
- 47 drivers cited for having revoked or otherwise invalid driver’s license
- 46 drivers cited for speeding
- 11 drivers cited for reckless driving
- 10 drivers cited for child restraint violations
- 8 drivers in Virginia charged with failing to comply with the state’s “Move Over” law.
- 5 drivers cited for seat belt violations
Virginia State Police also made one fugitive arrest while Maryland State Police made three fugitive/criminal arrests.