WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – The DEA would like people across the country to participate in National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day, where you have the opportunity to properly discard of any old prescription drugs lying around the house.
Saturday, April 28th, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. local time, expired and unwanted prescriptions can be brought to sites throughout the D.C. Metropolitan Area in an effort to prevent drug abuse and theft. It’s also an effort to prevent hazards from being disposed of improperly to the point where they could hurt others – like in the trash or flushing down a toilet.
The service is free with no questions asked.
The program disposes of medication at over 5,300 sites nationwide operated by over 4,000 state and local law enforcement agencies. It has disposed of almost 500 tons of medication so far.
Prescription drugs are abused by more Americans than those that use cocaine, hallucinogens and heroin put together, says the National Survey on Drug Use and Health.
The program was initially set up by the DEA to prevent old medicine from falling into unauthorized hands as well as to keep it from being thrown away and seeping into water supplies.
There are plenty of local drop-off sites collecting drugs throughout the area. They are listed below:
- Arlington Fire Station #1, 500 S. Glebe Road
- Arlington Fire Station #8, 4845 Lee Highway
- Arlington Fire Station #9, 1900 S. Walter Reed Drive
- Pentagon parking lot, 551 Army Navy Drive
- Ft. Myer Post Exchange, 104 McNair Road
The following site will be operating on Friday, from 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. It will not hold hours on Saturday:
- Arlington Hall Station Building 1, 111 S. George Mason Drive
- PRINCE WILLIAM CO. PD / CITY OF MANASSAS PD, POTOMAC MILLS MALL
NEAR MAIN ENTRANCE, 2700 POTOMAC MILLS CIRCLE WOODBRIDGE VA, 22192 6 mi.
- FAIRFAX CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT, FAIRFAX CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT
FRONT LOBBY, 3730 OLD LEE HIGHWAY FAIRFAX VA, 22030
- STATE POLICE, VIRGINIA STATE POLICE DIVISION VII HQS
POC: LT STEVE HAWKINS, 4977 ALLIANCE DRIVE FAIRFAX VA, 22030
- MANASSAS PARK POLICE DEPARTMENT, MANASSAS PARK POLICE DEPARTMENT
COMMUNITY ROOM LOCATED IN THE MAIN LOBBY, 329 MANASSAS DRIVE, MANASSAS PARK VA, 20111
- NOVA COMMUNITY COLLEGE – MEDICAL EDUCATION CAMPUS, 1ST FLOOR MAIN ENTRANCE, 6699 SPRINGFIELD CENTER DRIVE, SPRINGFIELD VA, 22150
- PRINCE WILLIAM CO. PD/CITY OF MANASSAS PD/PRINCE WILLIAM HOSPITAL
NEAR THE BIRTHING CENTER ENTRANCE, 8700 SUDLEY ROAD MANASSAS VA, 20110
- FORT BELVOIR, FORT BELVOIR MAIN EXCHANGE
FRONT PARKING LOT NEAR ENTRANCE, 6050 GORGAS ROAD, BUILDING 2303, FORT BELVOIR VA, 22060
- VIENNA POLICE DEPARTMENT, VIENNA POLICE HEADQUARTERS, 215 CENTER STREET, SOUTH VIENNA VA, 22180
- ALEXANDRIA POLICE DEPARTMENT, ALEXANDRIA POLICE HEADQUARTERS, 3600 WHEELER AVENUE ALEXANDRIA VA, 22304
- ALEXANDRIA POLICE DEPARTMENT, DEL RAY PHARMACY PARKING LOT, 2204 MOUNT VERNON AVENUE ALEXANDRIA VA, 22304
- FALLS CHURCH POLICE DEPARTMENT, CITY OF FALLS CHURCH PROPERTY YARD, 7100 GORDON ROAD FALLS CHURCH VA, 22046
- FAIRFAX COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT, SULLY DISTRICT POLICE STATION
- FRONT PARKING LOT, 4900 STONECROFT BOULEVARD CHANTILLY VA, 20151
If you’d like more information on National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day, click here.