SILVER SPRING, Md. (CBSDC) – A woman, identified only by the name Carrie, will take center stage in this Sunday’s season finale episode of TLC’s “My Strange Addiction.”

Her vice? Consuming in her own urine.

“My name is Carrie,” she states as she introduces herself on the show. “I’ve been addicted to drinking my own urine for over four years.”

Known formally as urophagia, Carrie’s addiction has reportedly led her to consume over 900 gallons of urine over the past few years.

In addition to drinking, she also bathes and brushes her teeth with the urine, inhales it through a neti pot and even uses a small cup to put it in her eyes.

Until the show, however, she kept her addiction a secret from most of the people in her life.

“I’m kind of nervous a little bit,” she admits just before telling her hidden practice to her friend Denise. “You feel naked and vulnerable because there’s so much judgement that goes on.”

Carrie adds, “It’s not accepted. It’s taboo.”

Her daughter, who is one of the few that is aware of her mother’s actions, expresses concern for Carrie, saying that consuming waste cannot be healthy.

Some feel the stigma against urine consumption is unfair.

“Contrary to popular belief, urine is not the excess waste water from food and drinks that we consume,” an article posted on Alternative Health UK Directory said. “The excess [filtered waste] is collected in the kidneys in the form of purified, sterile water called urine. It is then passed on to the bladder and excreted from the body.”

The article goes on to say that urine holds the power to cure allergies and yeast infection, among other ailments. It can also allegedly be used as a beauty treatment when applied to skin.

Some also tout it as a way to survive in the wilderness if water is scarce. Others advise against the practice, though, claiming that there are several medical issues that could result from consumption.

“A healthy person’s urine is about 95 percent water and sterile, so in the short term it’s safe to drink and does replenish lost water,” a Slate article on the matter states. “But the other 5 percent of urine comprises a diverse collection of waste products, including nitrogen, potassium, and calcium—and too much of these can cause problems.”

Those problems reportedly include severe kidney failure, if continually exposed over time.

“My Strange Addiction” is a documentary-style series that chronicles the life of one person per episode, and delves deep into their addiction.

Now in its third season, the show has covered compulsive behaviors such as eating toilet paper or couch cushions, thumb-sucking, compulsive tanning and obsessive exercise.

Comments (2)
  1. stan atkinson says:

    I smell my own gas! Should I be on that show then?

  2. Deb says:

    The world is FULL of weirdos, that’s all I know.

Leave a Reply