New Year’s Eve revelers can breathe easy: There are plenty of free, convenient ways to get around the area on New Year’s Eve.
Related: ‘New Year’s Eve Party DIY Guide’
Check out our transportation guide below to ring in 2017 safely.
No matter the distance, all trips originating after midnight will be free — just tap your SmarTrip card to enter and exit as usual.
On Metrobus, just show your SmarTrip card to the driver to ride for free after midnight.
Plot your journey before you imbibe with WMATA’s Trip Planner.
- Alexandria Yellow Cab (Alexandria)
- Barwood, Inc. (Montgomery County)
- Fairfax Yellow Cab (Fairfax County)
- Loudoun Yellow Cab (Eastern Loudoun County)
- Northern Virginia Checker (Prince William County)
- Red Top Cab Company (Arlington County)
- Silver Cab of Prince George’s County (Prince George’s County)
- Yellow Cab of District of Columbia (District of Columbia)
- Yellow Cab of Prince William County (Prince William County)
Rides up to $30 are free, and riders are responsible for paying anything above that.
To get the ride, don’t call the actual cab service. Instead, call the SoberRide program (1-800-200-8294) to connect with the operator, who will place your request with the corresponding cab service. AT&T customers can simply dial #WRAP from their cellphones.
The program is available from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., every night, from now through the morning of January 1.
Keep in mind, this is only available to adults age 21 and older.
Happy New Year!
Follow @CBSDC on Twitter