NRA Responds to President Obama’s Executive Orders

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – President Obama’s proposed executive actions on gun violence “would not have prevented any of the horrific events” that took place during his presidency, the National Rifle Association said Tuesday.

In a statement released by the NRA’s executive director, Chris W. Cox, the group said that the timing of this announcement, “in the eight and final year of his presidency, demonstrates not only political exploitation but a fundamental lack of seriousness.”

A link to the entire statement was posted to the group’s Facebook page:

The President’s proposed actions include clarification of an existing law on background checks and gun dealer registration as well as investments in mental health and gun safety research.

The 2016 Republican presidential candidates also took to social media to express their outrage with the proposed actions.

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and Sen. Marco Rubio both said they’d repeal his executive orders to protect the second amendment.

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee called the actions a “belligerent abuse of power.”

While Sen. Ted Cruz dismissed the president’s proposals, calling the Obama White House “lawless.”

Ben Carson accused the president of using his executive actions as a partisan move. 

Sen. Rand Paul had previously posted a Facebook photo of himself at a shooting range with a quote of the second amendment, but it has since been deleted.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS DC

D.C. Lottery Live
Follow and Like Us

Listen Live