WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — Fox News’ Megyn Kelly has reportedly been receiving death threats from supporters of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.
New York Magazine reports Kelly received the death threats following last week’s GOP debate.
“According to one high-level source, Kelly has told Fox producers that she’s been getting death threats from Trump supporters,” Gabriel Sherman of New York Magazine reported.
The uproar between the two first began at last week’s Republican presidential debate when Kelly asked the Republican candidate about calling “women you don’t like ‘fat pigs, dogs, slobs, and disgusting animals.'”
Trump didn’t deny it. And when Kelly was undeterred by his attempt to laugh off her question with a joke about comedian Rosie O’Donnell, he fired back.
“I don’t frankly have time for total political correctness,” Trump said. “And to be honest with you, this country doesn’t have time either.”
Trump escalated the issue, telling CNN in an interview the day after the debate, “There was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”
The remark cost Trump a prime-time speaking slot at the RedState Gathering, the Atlanta conference where several other presidential candidates spoke to about 1,000 conservative activists.
But Trump refused to back down, insisting Sunday that only “a deviant” would interpret his comment beyond a harmless barb.
“I apologize when I’m wrong, but I haven’t been wrong. I said nothing wrong,” said Trump, who spoke to four Sunday news shows, skipping only Fox News, the network with which he is feuding.
Addressing what she referred to the “dustup” for the first time on her show Monday night, Kelly defended what she described as a “tough but fair question” during the debate.
“We agree to disagree,” she said at the opening of her show, adding that she had decided not to respond to personal attacks Trump had lodged against her.
“Trump, who is the front-runner, will not apologize. And I certainly will not apologize for doing good journalism,” Kelly said. “So I’ll continue doing my job without fear or favor. And Mr. Trump, I expect, will continue with what has been a successful campaign thus far.”
The network’s chairman, Roger Ailes, reached out to Trump directly Monday, assuring him he’ll be “treated fairly” by the station, Trump tweeted Monday.
“Roger Ailes just called. He is a great guy & assures me that ‘Trump’ will be treated fairly on @FoxNews. His word is always good!” wrote Trump, whose unorthodox campaign is dominating the race and summertime polls.
In a statement Monday evening, Ailes described the conversation as “blunt but cordial” and said the air had been cleared.
“Donald Trump and I spoke today. We discussed our concerns, and I again expressed my confidence in Megyn Kelly,” Ailes said, describing Kelly as “a brilliant journalist” whom he supports “100 percent.”
Ailes added that he assured Trump “that we will continue to cover this campaign with fairness & balance.”
Trump returned to the network Tuesday, appearing on “Fox & Friends” and “Hannity.”
(TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)