LANHAM, Md. (WNEW) — Looking for love? D.C. is the best city to find love on Valentine’s Day, according to a new Zillow study.
Zillow, an online real estate database, looked at cities with a population of more than 250,000 people and scored these cities on four metrics:
Percentage of population who’s single:
– Dating is tough if everyone’s already put a ring on it. To determine the percentage of the population that’s unmarried, we used Census ACS 2013 data on the number of married and unmarried residents.
Percentage of population who’s new and single:
– Even if you live in a huge city with plenty of singles, you may benefit from an influx of fresh, single faces to prevent a dating scene where everyone knows everyone. And if you’re a newcomer yourself, it may be easier to connect with other single out-of-towners instead of trying to infiltrate established cliques. For this metric, we used ACS 2013 data on the number of unmarried residents who moved from outside the county in the past year.
Date spots per 10,000 residents:
– Restaurants, bars, nightclubs, coffee shops, live music hangouts, theaters and parks all make for great date spots, or just places to meet friends old and new and get to know each other better or meet someone special. To approximate the number of potential date spots per 10,000 residents, we used Census County Business Patterns 2012 data on the number of establishments that fall into the categories mentioned above.
– To enjoy these venues, you and your date will need some spending money. To approximate disposable income, we took ACS 2013 data for the median nonfamily household income of those living alone and subtracted the rent one may expect to pay over the course of a year (calculated as the annualized Zillow Rent Index).
Here’s why D.C. topped the list:
– Percent single (not married): 71 percent
– Percent new and single: 8.4 percent
– Date spots per 10,000 people: 44
– Disposable income (Expected annual rent subtracted from median income): $25,915
Based on this criteria, here’s the list of the top 10 cities to find love:
1. Washington, D.C.
4. St. Louis
9. San Francisco
Follow WNEW on Twitter