Sotloff Family Grieving Over New Beheading Video

WASHINGTON — A family spokesman says relatives of freelance journalist Steven Sotloff are aware of a new video purporting to show his beheading by Islamic State militants.

In a two-sentence statement Tuesday, family spokesman Barak Barfi said Sotloff’s family, quote, “knows of this horrific tragedy and is grieving privately.”

The family has not been told whether the video is authentic, and Barfi said the family does not plan to make any additional comments now.

Earlier, the State Department said U.S. intelligence officials were still trying to determine if the video was genuine.

Sotloff had been held by the Islamic State since last year.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS DC

D.C. Lottery Live
Follow and Like Us

Listen Live