More Than 30 Children Evaluated For Chemical Exposure at YMCA Pool in Md.
Get Breaking News First
UPDATED: July 9, 2014 2:35 p.m.
LANHAM, Md. (WNEW) — More than 30 children have been hospitalized after being exposed to high levels of pool chemicals at a YMCA in Anne Arundel County, authorities say.
Anne Arundel County Fire spokesman Russ Davies says crews were called to YMCA Camp Letts in Edgewater at about 10 a.m. Wednesday for the report of multiple children vomiting.
YMCA spokesperson Jackie Dilworth says a pump malfunction caused large amounts of chemicals to spray into the pool. She says the children, ages 6 to 16, experienced respiratory problems and nausea.
Davies says crews evaluated a total 35 people — 31 children and four adults — who were exposed to the chlorine.
Dilworth says 26 children were in the pool at the time of the spill — 13 have serious but non-life-threatening injuries and 13 have minor injuries. Another five children and four adults who were nearby the pool also are being evaluated.
In total, 33 people have been transported to nearby hospitals for further evaluation, Davies says.
Dilworth says the YMCA is working on contacting the parents of the children affected.