These seem like they would be incredibly hard to make, but buy some rice paper wrappers in the produce section, hoisin sauce (Asian aisle) and Thai basil and one will be a whiz in no time.
1 carrot, julienne
2 cucumbers, peeled, de-seeded and julienne (English cucumbers preferred)
1# bean sprouts (any kind)
3 inch piece Romaine lettuce hearts, (or Boston lettuce) very thinly sliced
Mint, de-stemmed and julienned
Thai Basil, de-stemmed
1 bunch green onion, small dice
1# rice or bean thread noodles, reconstituted (can substitute cooked vermicelli)
Rice paper (spring roll wrappers, about 8” diameter)
Hot water, in large wide basin or bowl
Dipping sauce: Soy sauce
Scallions, thin slice
Red pepper sauce, Sriracha or Thai chile sweet sauce
1. Soak rice paper a few minutes in hot water. Lay on work surface.
2. Dab hoisin sauce along one end (like a smile)
3. Add SMALL amount of following items, i.e., about ¼ teaspoon each:
Scallions, cucumbers, romaine, bean sprouts, mint, cilantro and Thai basil.
4. Roll is closed like a burrito is wrapped: fold bottom 1/3 up over ingredients; fold in sides and roll to close the roll. A little extra water along the top of the last roll will seal the package. Store seam side down. Lay damp cloth or paper towel over top before covering with plastic wrap
5. Serve with dipping sauce: 1/3 soy sauce, 1/3 cup chopped scallions, 2 T Thai chile or red pepper sauce.
Susan Delbert joined The Fourth Estate Restaurant at the National Press Club as Executive Chef after working at The Old Ebbitt Grill in Washington, D.C. as Sous Chef for several years. Delbert has worked in several Washington restaurants, including The Oval Room, BeDuCi in Dupont Circle and Gerard’s Place. She started her culinary career as a Front of the House Maitre d’ in Clyde’s of Chevy Chase. She trained at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, N.Y., where she graduated at the top of her class. She was an invited participant in an Italian regional cooking program sponsored by the Italian Trade Commission.
(TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)