UPDATED: July 5, 2014 9:54 a.m.
LANHAM, Md. (WNEW) — A Food and Drug Administration building in Silver Spring has been evacuated after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected.
Montgomery County Fire Department spokesperson Pete Piringer says they responded around 8:30 a.m. Saturday. Piringer says the cause was from the back-up battery system malfunctioning.
The battery ruptured and then exploded, resulting in a sulfuric acid spill releasing hydrogen gas vapor, Piringer says.
HazMat - 10903 New Hampshire Av - FDA Bldg #52 #mcfrs on scene, investigating batteries 'off-gasing' bldg being evacuated, no inj reported—
Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) July 05, 2014
Just before 10:00 a.m., Piringer says hazmat crews contained and ventilated the spill, isolated the area and will begin the process of cleaning it up.
No injuries have been reported.
Information will be updated as details become available.
More From Maryland
- Police: Maryland High School Student Planned Violent Attack at School
- Man Kills Daughters, 4 and 17, Then Himself at Waldorf Home
- Police: Off-Duty Officer Drove Drunk, Crashed Patrol Car
- Police Shoot, Kill Maryland Man Threatening Kids with Butcher Knife