FDA Building Evacuated For High Levels of Carbon Monoxide

UPDATED: July 5, 2014 9:54 a.m.

LANHAM, Md. (WNEW) — A Food and Drug Administration building in Silver Spring has been evacuated after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected.

Montgomery County Fire Department spokesperson Pete Piringer says they responded around 8:30 a.m. Saturday. Piringer says the cause was from the back-up battery system malfunctioning.

The battery ruptured and then exploded, resulting in a sulfuric acid spill releasing hydrogen gas vapor, Piringer says.

Just before 10:00 a.m., Piringer says hazmat crews contained and ventilated the spill, isolated the area and will begin the process of cleaning it up.

No injuries have been reported.

Information will be updated as details become available.

More From Maryland

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS DC

D.C. Lottery Live
Follow and Like Us

Listen Live