LANHAM, Md. (WNEW) — Washington’s restaurant scene was celebrated over the weekend at the 32nd annual RAMMY Awards, where the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington (RAMW) announced winners in 20 award categories.
This year’s ceremony introduced seven new awards categories: Upscale Casual Brunch; Everyday Casual Brunch; Cocktail Program of the Year; Beer Program of the Year; Service Program of the Year; Regional Food and Beverage Producer of the Year; and Favorite Fast Bites.
Winners were selected by the public and a panel of volunteer judges. The public was the sole decider on four categories: Favorite Gathering Place of the Year; Upscale Brunch; Everyday Casual Brunch; and Favorite Fast Bites.
The RAMMY Awards Gala, which took place Sunday night at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, honored “the exceptional ability and accomplishments of the hard-working individuals and organizations of the region’s restaurants and food service community.”
This year’s RAMMYs winners are:
• Formal Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: Fiola
• Upscale Casual Restaurant of the Year: Ripple
• Everyday Casual Restaurant of the Year: Toki Underground
• New Restaurant of the Year: The Red Hen
• Chef of the Year: Haidar Karoum, Doi Moi, Estadio, Proof
• Rising Culinary Star of the Year: Michael Friedman, The Red Hen
• Pastry Chef of the Year: Caitlin Dysart, 2941 Restaurant
• Wine Program of the Year: Ripple
• Cocktail Program of the Year*: Jack Rose Dining Saloon
• Beer Program of the Year*: Birch and Barley / ChurchKey
• Service Program of the Year*: Blue Duck Tavern
• Restaurateur of the Year: Michael Babin, Neighborhood Restaurant Group
• Regional Food and Beverage Producer of the Year*: Red Apron Butcher
• Favorite Gathering Place of the Year: Hank’s Oyster Bar – Dupont Circle
• Upscale Casual Brunch*: Mintwood Place
• Everyday Casual Brunch*: Pearl Dive Oyster Palace
• Favorite Fast Bites*: Amsterdam Falafelshop
• Joan Hisaoka Allied Member of the Year: ProFish, Ltd.
• Employee of the Year: Stelios Alexandris, 1789 Restaurant
• Manager of the Year: Boo Young Kim, District Commons
*Denotes a new award in 2014
- ‘It’s Gonna Be Crazy’: Jay Pharoah Is Amped For The Sunday Premiere Of ‘White Famous’
- ‘I’m just slightly disappointed in myself’: ‘Survivor Castoff Patrick: Post Elimination Q&A
- ‘Cabe Has To Defend Being A Humanitarian’: Robert Patrick Gears Up For Tonight’s ‘Scorpion’
- ‘You’re Going To Learn A Lot About These People’: Geneva Carr Talks Second Season Of ‘Bull’