Students Get Sick After Drinking School Milk
RICHMOND, Va. (CBS DC) – There was no milk served with lunch at 72 Richmond area schools on Friday.
That’s because the day before, several children got sick immediately after drinking school milk, reports WTVR-TV. Other students reported the milk had a sour taste and a sour smell.
Henrico County Public Schools sent a letter to parents explaining what happened: “Their symptoms, mainly nausea, were short-lived,” said the letter. “As a precaution, however, we have decided not to serve milk of any type tomorrow (Friday, May 30th), throughout the school system. Juice and water will be offered as alternatives.”
Marva Maid, he company that provides milk to the schools, blames faulty equipment, saying a stuck valve on a piece of machinery could have led to the milk going bad earlier than normal.
School officials say they are working with the county and state health departments to prevent this from happening again.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. )