106.7 The Fan All News 99.1 WNEW CBS Sports Radio 1580

Sports

D.C. United Stadium Legislation to Reach Council by Friday

View Comments
Latest News

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
More from 106.7 the Fan

D.C. United Stadium Progress

All News 99.1 WNEW

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) — The framework of a deal that would create a new home for D.C. United is almost complete, but there’s still a piece or two missing.

The District has secured 88 percent of land it needs to initiate a complicated land swap, paving the way for a soccer stadium at Buzzard Point. City administrator Allen Lew says the owners of the remaining 12 percent won’t take what D.C. is offering.

Lew says D.C. could use eminent domain to take the two properties, but that’s a few months off. By Friday, D.C. Council will get the stadium bill, but some members have expressed concerns about the land swap.

D.C. United would build the new stadium and the District would cover land and infrastructure costs up to 150 million dollars.

D.C. United extended their lease with Events DC in 2012 to use RFK stadium for their home games for their 2012 and 2013 seasons. Back in March of this year, fans bombarded city officials with emails in support of a new stadium.

WNEW’s Matt DelSignore contributed to this report. Follow him and WNEW on Twitter.

 

More From Washington

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus