LANHAM, Md. (WNEW) — The mother of a 7-week-old boy pleads guilty to a charge of voluntary manslaughter in the death of her son last year.
Tisheena Louise Brown, 33, of Washington, D.C., also pled guilty to a charge of second-degree insurance fraud. She entered both pleas in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. Sentencing is scheduled for July 18.
According to officials, Brown has a history of prescription drug abuse, which began around 2007-2008. Her reported prescription drugs of choice were Percocet (Oxycodone) and Dilaudid (Hydromorphone), as well as Promethazine, a non-controlled prescription drug.
Brown admitted frequenting local hospitals in an effort to unlawfully obtain drug prescriptions (including Oxycodone, Dilaudid, and Promethazine) while using fraudulent identifiers. She would also go to multiple hospitals, using her own name and obtaining prescriptions, which would then be filled and paid by Medicaid.
While using her own name, Brown secured prescriptions for drugs without advising the doctor that she had obtained the same prescription on the same date for the same medicine from another doctor and hospital. When purchasing her drugs, she used Medicaid to pay for the drugs.
In a four-month period from September 2013 through December of 2013, Brown had over 1,700 pills prescribed to her from a variety of doctors.
According to officials, on Sept. 17, 2013, Brown was at her home in the 2900 block of Akron Place SE. She reported that, around 10:30 p.m., her seven-week old son, Hakeem, was fussy and so she provided him Promethazine, a drug which had been prescribed for her.
She provided the infant with this drug even though the label warned that it was not to be administered to children under the age of two. Sometime after 2 a.m., Brown looked over at her son and noticed that he was “blue and wasn’t breathing.” She then called 911.
Emergency responders arrived at her home, where they found the infant unconscious and not breathing. Hakeem was taken by ambulance to a hospital, and pronounced dead at about 3:20 a.m.
Brown initially told police the only thing she gave her son was an “over the counter” gas relief medication, which was not true.
The cause of death was ruled a homicide and the manner of death was a lethal dose of Promethazine. In October 2013, the D.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner’s Forensic Toxicology Unit determined that the autopsy drug screen was positive for Promethazine.
Promethazine, commonly referred to by the brand name Phenergan, is a non-controlled prescription medication which is prescribed for allergy, motion sickness, nausea, vomiting, nighttime sedation, pain relief following surgery, and to help certain narcotic pain relievers work better. It is prescribed with the warning that it should not be used in children younger than two years old because it may cause serious, and possibly fatal, slow/shallow breathing.
More From Washington
- Teen Charged with Stabbing Girl Near Silver Spring Middle School
- Armed Woman High on PCP Arrested for Trying to Fight Metro Riders (Watch)
- Red Line Service Interrupted After Fire at Metro Center
- More Than 500 People Died on Maryland Roads in 2016