106.7 The Fan All News 99.1 WNEW CBS Sports Radio 1580

Report: Obama Snubs Selfie With 13-Year-Old Girl

View Comments
Thirteen-year-old Mika Taylor holds a placard asking for a selfie as she waits on a rope line for President Barack Obama near Collier Field House Yongsan Garrison in Seoul on April 26, 2014. (credit: JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images)

Thirteen-year-old Mika Taylor holds a placard asking for a selfie as she waits on a rope line for President Barack Obama near Collier Field House Yongsan Garrison in Seoul on April 26, 2014. (credit: JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images)

Latest News

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — President Barack Obama reportedly snubbed a 13-year-old girl who wanted to take a selfie with him.

According to the New York Daily News, Obama turned down a request from teenager Mika Taylor at the U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan in Seoul on Saturday. Mika and her friends were waiting for hours for Obama to arrive while holding a sign: “Mr. President May (I) Have A Selfie With You?”

“Just take a picture of me as I’m going by,” Obama told Taylor, according to The Daily News. Obama said that if he took a selfie with her, he would have to take pictures with everyone.

Despite not taking a picture with the teenage girl, Obama did grant a selfie to Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak.

“My selfie with President Obama!” Razak posted on Twitter.

This isn’t the first time Obama has reportedly snubbed someone for selfies.

Earlier this month, The Associated Press reported that some American Olympians were told not to take pictures with their cellphones while meeting with President Barack Obama at the White House.

“I was a little bummed. I thought about trying to sneak one, but they were pretty adamant about it,” Nick Goepper, who won the bronze medal in slopestyle skiing, said. “I’m sure if they would’ve allowed it, there’d be 150 people with selfies with the president right now.”

The selfie controversy stems from the Boston Red Sox visit to the White House where David Ortiz took a selfie with Obama. Critics say that the photo was a marketing ploy from Samsung when they used the picture Ortiz took from a Samsung phone in an advertisement.

Ortiz told The Boston Globe that the photo was not part of any deal with Samsung.

“That was one of those things that just happened. I gave him the jersey, and the photographers were going to take their pictures and I thought, really at the last second, maybe I should snap a shot with my phone while I have the chance,” Ortiz explained to The Globe. “It had nothing to do with no deals.”

The White House confirmed to the AP that the Olympic athletes were told not to take their own photos of the president. Despite that, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said that there was no ban on selfies at the White House.

“There’s no discussion of a ban,” Carney said.

Olympians were allowed, though, to take general pictures inside the White House.

“It would have been fun but I wasn’t too bummed,” aerials skier Emily Cook said. “He is the president, after all.”

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,623 other followers