Drug Take-Back Initiative: Find a Location Near You
LANHAM, Md. (WNEW) — Several county police departments, along with the Drug Enforcement Administration, will be collecting potentially dangerous, expired, unused and unwanted prescription drugs for destruction on Saturday.
The effort is part of the “National Prescription Drug Take-Back Initiative.” It will be held on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
There are several collection locations available. The medications do not need to be in their original packaging.
Police say they will not be able to accept liquids, aerosol based medication or needles/injectable pens. This collection service is free and anonymous.
Participating counties include: Fairfax, Arlington, Prince George’s, Montgomery, among others.
Locations in Maryland:
- 5000 Rhode Island Avenue, Hyattsville
- 7600 Barlowe Road, Palmer Park
- 5135 Indian Head Highway, Oxon Hill
- 939 Hammonds Lane, Baltimore
- 35 Stepneys Lane, Edgewater
- 3700 Mountain Road, Pasadena
- 8273 Telegraph Road, Odenton
- 1451 Seven Locks Road, Rockville
- 801 Sligo Avenue, Silver Spring
- 2300 Randolph Road, Wheaton
- 20000 Aircraft Drive, Germantown
- 45 West Watkins Mill Road, Gaithersburg
- 2350 Research Boulevard, Rockville
- 4433 S. Park Avenue, Chevy Chase
- 3410 Courthouse Drive, Ellicott City
- 11226 Scaggsville Road, Laurel
- 10451 Twin Rivers Road, Suite 404, Columbia
- 5485 Harpers Farm Road, Columbia
- 5820 Robert Oliver Place, Columbia
- 8775 Cloudleap Court, Columbia
- 7154 Cradlerock Way, Columbia
- 9411 Whiskey Bottom Road, Laurel
- 2400 Rt. 97, Cooksville
- 7777 Washington Boulevard, Jessup
- Rossborough Lane (across from Ritchie Coliseum), College Park
Locations in D.C.:
- 101 M Street SW
- 500 E Street SE
- 3320 Idaho Avenue NW
- 1620 V Street NW
- 6001 Georgia Avenue NW
- 750 Park Road NW
- 1805 Bladensburg Road NE
- 100 42nd Street NE
- 2455 Alabama Avanue SE
- 3920 Alton Place NW
Locations in Virginia:
- 6507 Columbia Pike, Annandale
- 4900 Stonecroft Boulevard, Chantilly
- 6121 Franconia Road, Alexandria
- 215 Center Street S, Vienna
- 397 Herndon Parkway, Herndon
- 6300 Beulah Street, Alexandria
- 10511 Rosehaven Street, Fairfax
- 3730 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax
- 500 S. Glebe Road, Arlington
- 4845 Lee Highway, Arlington
- 1900 S. Walter Reed Drive, Arlington
This initiative addresses a vital public safety and public health issue. The DEA cites studies which show a majority of abused prescription drugs are obtained from family and friends, often from a home medicine cabinet.
In addition, many citizens do not know how to properly dispose of their unused medicine, often flushing them down the toilet or throwing them away – both potential safety and health hazards.