Family Of 6 Able To Escape 2-Alarm Fire In Darnestown
Get Breaking News First
LANHAM, Md. (WNEW) — A family of six is without a home after a two-alarm fire ripped through their residence in Darnestown late Thursday.
The fire began in a shed at the four-level, 3,800 square foot home, located in the 15000 block of Rollinmead Drive, around 11 p.m., according to the Montgomery County Fire Department. The flames then spread to the deck and house.
When firefighters arrived, strong flames could be seen shooting from the home. The heavy fire created unsafe conditions and forced crews to battle the blaze from the outside, according to a tweet by fire spokesperson Pete Piringer.
Two adults and four children were able to safely exit the home and no other injuries were reported.
Contractors working on a deck at the home may have improperly discarded flammable materials such as oil rags and paint brushes in a plastic bag, according to fire officials. Subsequently, investigators believe accidental spontaneous combustion sparked the fire.
Fire investigators estimate the house sustained $1 million in damages. $500,000 of contents inside the home were also destroyed.