LANHAM, Md. (WNEW) — After a dog died as a result of small burns and smoke inhalation sustained in a house fire in Prince George’s County last year, the Prince George’s County Fire Department is announcing the creation of the “Sparky Fire Fund.”

The project, also sponsored by the SPCA of Anne Arundel County and the Prince George’s County Animal Management Division, will allow family pets injured as the result of fires to be taken to select 24-hour veterinarians to receive immediate care.

In October 2013, firefighters rescued two dogs, Mylo and Otis, from the charred remains of a Bowie home. They were lifeless but were resuscitated by first responders using donated pet oxygen masks.

thisisthedogthatdidnotsurvive2 Md. Fire Department Creates Fund to Aid Pets Affected By Fires

Sadly, one of the pair died just days later. Officials say if veterinary care had been initiated earlier, both dogs may have survived. But the family did not have the financial resources for vet care and the canine’s condition deteriorated.

It was this chain of events that motivated members of the fire/EMS department to do something in hopes of preventing similar tragedies.

With the help of the Sparky Fire Fund, pets whose owners do not have the financial means or are not available to care for the pet themselves, will still receive the care they need.

Donations may be made online or be sent by mail to:

SPCA of Anne Arundel County
PGFD & SPCA Sparky Fire Fund
1815 Bay Ridge Avenue
Annapolis, MD 21403


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live