HONOLULU (CBSDC/AP) — Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says it’s too soon to draw any broad conclusions about safety at U.S. military bases after the deadly shootings at Fort Hood, Texas.
He said Thursday that as the investigation unfolds, the Pentagon will continue to take a close look at any new lessons that can be learned from Wednesday’s tragedy and implement any needed changes to base security.
He said the Defense Department has implemented changes after other shootings, including the 2009 massacre at Fort Hood and last year’s shooting at the Washington Navy Yard. He said the safety of the troops was a priority for defense leaders and commanders.
He said that while one incident was too many, the U.S. has a lot of bases around the world and they are safe places.
When the shooting took place Wednesday, Hagel said: “When we have these kinds of tragedies on our bases, something’s not working.”
Rep. Mike McCaul, R-Texas, wants military personnel to be allowed to carry concealed weapons on military bases.
“The problem here, and with Fort Hood, the prior Nidal Hasan case, was that they couldn’t defend themselves because they were not allowed to carry weapons,” McCaul told Fox News. “So I think the policymakers, Congress, we need to revisit this procedure, this policy, to see if we should arm them so they can better protect themselves.”
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)