Dozens of Rabbits Up For Adoption After Being Rescued From Md. House Fire
Get Breaking News First
LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — Dozens of rabbits are up for adoption in Prince George’s County after they were rescued from a New Carrollton house fire Sunday.
Fire/EMS spokesman Mark Brady says the owner of the home, on the 6600 block of Adrian Street, woke up from an afternoon nap and saw smoke. Firefighters responded to the scene to battle the blaze, which was in the basement. Investigators believe a burning log shifted in the fireplace, fell out and ignited nearby combustibles.
The home did not have a working smoke alarm. Property damage was estimated at $20,000.
Officers from the county’s Animal Management Division reported to the scene and collected 41 rabbits that survived the fire. The homeowner is displaced and has nowhere to maintain his pets, so he relinquished ownership. Animal Management officials are now seeking homes for the pets. The man has been assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit with temporary shelter.
For additional information on how to adopt a rabbit, call the Animal Shelter at 301-780-7201 or visit its adoption page.
Rodney C. Taylor, associate director of the Animal Management Division, says the adoption fee for the rabbits will be $30 each, which includes spay/neuter.
“Consider this fur-ever pet as an alternative to a cat or dog, but please be aware that they need a commitment from you for their lifetime, not just a trendy thing to get the kids for Easter,” Taylor says.