Wilson High School Evacuated Following Chemical Spill At Pool
Get Breaking News First
UPDATED: March 12, 2014 3:19 p.m.
WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — Wilson High School in northwest Washington was evacuated Wednesday morning after a chemical spill at an aquatic center next door.
A construction worker at the Wilson Aquatic Center suffered serious injuries when he accidentally cut an acid line that goes into the pool, according to WNEW senior correspondent Mark Segraves. The worker was taken to a local hospital in critical condition around 9:20 a.m.
The 20 to 30 gallons of muriatic acid that spilled was contained to a service room. The matter did not spill into the sewer system, according to Segraves.
A firefighter who responded to the pool also has been taken to the hospital.
Authorities have constructed a decontamination station at the pool, located in the 4550 block of Fort Drive NW.
Wilson High School, which is next door to the aquatic center, was not affected, but it was evacuated as a precaution.
Officials say students and staff were taken to another school nearby and were sent home because it wasn’t safe for them to return to Wilson.
Roads around the school remain closed.
More From Washington
(TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)