Updated: 8:21 a.m. Feb. 17, 2014
Posted: 4:55 p.m. Feb. 16, 2014

LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — Nine people were hospitalized after a hotel near Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport was evacuated due to high levels of carbon monoxide.

Anne Arundel County Fire says an employee of the Westin Baltimore Washington International Hotel reported feeling faint while in the laundry room of the building around 1:30 p.m. Sunday.

During an investigation, firefighters discovered high levels of carbon monoxide and the entire hotel was evacuated. Some levels were in excess of 700 parts per million — levels capable of causing serious injury with just two hours of exposure.

At least 20 hotel employees and guests were treated for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning at the hotel in Linthicum, Md.

Four employees who worked near the hotel’s laundry room were taken by ambulance to the Hyperbaric Chamber at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Four other employees and one guest also were transported to local hospitals.

Their conditions are unknown at this time.

The building was turned back over to building management at about 5:30 p.m.

The cause of the leak is yet to be determined.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live