Updated: 8:34 p.m. Feb. 9, 2014
Original: 3:21 p.m. Feb. 8, 2014

SUITLAND, Md. (CBSDC/AP)— After a 6-year-old girl was found dead from becoming entangled in window cords, officials are reminding residents about window blind safety.

Authorities say the child was found unconscious in a Suitland home on Saturday after getting caught up in cords attached to window coverings.

A family member tried reviving the child as did emergency workers. She was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The child’s name has yet to be released.

Officials say children ages 5 and under are especially vulnerable to strangulation by window covering strings and cords.

Teresa Ann Crisman with Prince George’s County Fire/EMS says manufacturers no longer make the cords with a continuous loop, but older-style cords still have them.

She adds that it’s advantageous to simply cut the loop of these older cords and tie a knot on each end to help to prevent entanglements.

WNEW’s Kevin Patrick contributed to this report. Follow him and WNEW on Twitter.

(TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live