Updated: 7:01 p.m. Feb. 7, 2014
Posted: 12:05 p.m. Feb. 7, 2014

RICHMOND, Va. (CBSDC/AP) — Three people have been charged in the disappearance and death of a reserve Waynesboro police officer, two others are charged in the theft of his vehicle and investigators are looking into a possible gang affiliation, police said Friday.

The latest three were arrested Thursday night in Prince William County, increasing to five the number of people facing charges related to the death of Kevin Wayne Quick, 45.

Police who had been searching for Quick since he was reported missing Saturday found the body of a man about halfway between Richmond and Charlottesville on Thursday, state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said. An autopsy has not positively identified the body as Quick’s, she said.

The three arrested Thursday night are Gert Wright, also known as Halisi Uhuru, 22, of Danville; and Leslie Hope Casterlow, 49, and Anthony D. Stokes Jr., 31, both of Manassas.

They are charged with “principal in second degree to the crime of murder,” meaning they have an association with Quick’s death, Geller said.

“They have not been charged with capital murder, with any murder, at this time,” she said.

Geller said the three were also charged with having an affiliation with a “criminal street gang.” She did not identify the gang or elaborate on that part of the investigation.

Two Louisa County siblings previously were charged with grand larceny related to the theft of Quick’s SUV. They are Mersadies Shelton, 20, and Daniel Mathis, 18.

All five suspects are being held without bond.

Geller said investigators were “still piecing together this network of individuals.”

Police have received more than 200 tips since they began their search for Quick, she said, appealing for more assistance from the public.

Quick was reported missing after he left his mother’s residence in Afton to travel to his girlfriend’s home in Louisa County late Friday. She lives about 20 miles away.

Quick’s vehicle was found Monday in Louisa County. Surveillance cameras recorded his vehicle at two banks before the SUV was discovered.

Waynesville police said Quick was a captain on the reserve force. He had served on the force for 24 years.

(TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS DC

CBSLocal App
Watch Live

Listen Live