Traditional wisdom will tell you there are only a handful of acceptable reasons to serve healthy food at a football party.
1.) You’re a foodie with foodie friends and healthy food is what you do.
2.) You’ve made a bet with your friends to see who can stick with their New Year’s resolution the longest.
3.) You lost a ton of weight and there is absolutely, positively no way you’re going to put it back on.
For me, it’s number three. I lost 260 pounds and can assure you that the occasional stares I get for passing on pizza, chips, and sodas at parties are well worth it if it means I will continue to have a slim waistline.
But, if you’re worried about how you’ll be perceived by your peers and don’t want to be “that” guy or girl, fear not.
As a guy who also covers football for a living (sometimes), you can take solace in the fact that these healthier dishes will go over well with even the most hardened football fan — provided you don’t say what’s in them.
A little shrimp appetizer will prove to be a palate pleaser for everyone. This recipe will make 24 bite-sized beauties and only takes about 10 minutes to prepare.
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
- 24 small, round melba toasts or whole-wheat crackers
- 24 small (60-70 per pound) cooked peeled shrimp (about 4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon pepper jelly
Per popper (24 per recipe)
- Calories: 22
- Fat: 1 g
Preparation information available at EatingWell.com.
TURKEY BLACK BEAN SOFT TACOS
This Mexican style dish serves six and takes 20 minutes to prepare.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 1/4 lb extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 15-oz can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup, plus 2 tbsp chunky low-sodium salsa
- 2 cups (packed) romaine lettuce, chopped
Nutrients per serving (6 servings per recipe)
- Calories: 276
- Total Fat: 2.5 g
Preparation information available at CleanEatingMag.com.
WORLD’S HEALTHIEST COOKIE
These baked chocolate chip cookies are dubbed as being the world’s healthiest. I encourage you to judge for yourself. The recipe yields 16 cookies and also takes about 20 minutes to prepare.
- 2 Tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoon mashed banana or applesauce
- Pinch of salt
- Stevia or other sweetener, to taste
- 1/8 Teaspoon baking powder
- 3 Tablespoon almond milk, or milk of choice
- Chocolate chips
- Calories: 6 (8 or 9 with a chocolate chip)
- Fat: 0.5 g
Preparation information available at FoodieFiasco.com.