With frigid temperatures battering the D.C. region recently, the idea of staying inside and indulging in unhealthy foods could tempt many of us to stray from those New Year’s resolutions.
Chef Susan Delbert of The Fourth Estate Restaurant at the National Press Club, has some delicious, healthy meals that offer an alternative.
Citrus Avocado Winter Salad
1. Slice red or vidalia onion very fine. Salt in a strainer. When they begin to sweat, rinse off all the salt and hold.
2. Slice slightly underripe avocados into a bowl. Salt and pepper (coarse ground or red peppercorns, which is what I used)
3. Cut “supremes” from a variety of citrus: grapefruit, pink grapefruit, mandarins, navel oranges, etc. To cut supremes is to cut wedges between the membranes. As the juice drips, let it drip on the avocados to stop discoloration.
4. Tear up some lettuce. Bibb or baby bibb lettuce works best.
5. Pile on plate: citrus first because it is so heavy. Lettuce. Avocado.
6. Pour a little of the citrus juice on the avocados on the salad.
7. Drizzle some good, extra virgin olive oil on the top.
8. Optional: add some extra red peppercorns to sprinkle on top.