Man Dies After Clothes Catch Fire While Lighting Cigarette On Stove
Get Breaking News First
KENSINGTON, Md. (CBSDC/AP) — Montgomery County fire officials say a Kensington man has died after his clothes caught fire as he tried to light a cigarette on a stove.
Firefighters were called to a home in the 39000 block of Decatur Avenue around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday and found a severely burned man in the kitchen area. He was taken to an area hospital with critical injuries and later died.
Fire officials say the man, 70-year-old Thomas Geoghegan, was trying to light a cigarette on the stove when his clothes caught fire. They say smoke alarms sounded and Geoghegan’s wife doused her husband with water and called 911.
Fire investigators have ruled the fire accidental and the medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Geoghegan’s death is the third fire-related death this year in the county.
(TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)