106.7 The Fan All News 99.1 WNEW CBS Sports Radio 1580

Sports

Goodell Responds To Obama’s Football Comment: ‘There’s A Lot Of Misinformation Out There’

View Comments
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell speaks at a press conference announcing the 16 winners of the first round of the $20M Head Health Challenge, a research grant created by the NFL and General Electric to better study and treat traumatic brain injuries, on Jan. 23, 2014 in New York City. (credit: Andrew Burton/Getty Images)

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell speaks at a press conference announcing the 16 winners of the first round of the $20M Head Health Challenge, a research grant created by the NFL and General Electric to better study and treat traumatic brain injuries, on Jan. 23, 2014 in New York City. (credit: Andrew Burton/Getty Images)

More from 106.7 the Fan

WASHINGTON (CBS DC/AP) — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said “there’s a lot of misinformation out there” while responding to President Barack Obama’s comment that he wouldn’t let his son play football.

Speaking to “CBS This Morning” Thursday, Goodell stated that NFL players have a great quality of life, while still playing the game and after they retire.

“One of the things that I’ve tried to explain on many occasions, and people don’t realize it, NFL players are living longer on average than the average male – three years. And they are also living a higher quality of life, from a medical standpoint and a quality of life standpoint,” Goodell told CBS News.

Goodell continued: “These are important facts for people to understand, there’s a lot of misinformation out there.”

Obama recently said in a New Yorker interview that even though he does watch football, if he had a son, he would not let him play.

“I would not let my son play pro football,” Obama said.

Earlier this month, U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody denied preliminary approval of a $765 million settlement of NFL concussion claims because she’s worried the money could run out sooner than expected. She also raised concerns that anyone who gets concussion damages from the NFL would be barred from suing the NCAA or other amateur football leagues.

“I am primarily concerned that not all retired NFL football players who ultimately receive a qualifying diagnosis or their (families) … will be paid,” the judge wrote.

The proposed settlement, negotiated over several months, is designed to last at least 65 years.

Goodell called Brody’s decision “appropriate.”

“She is going through properly all of our analysis and making sure that the money that’s in the fund in the settlement will be sufficient for the projected needs,” Goodell told CBS News. “Both sides want to continue to have this and we believe it’s the right thing because we can get money to the people that need it immediately.”

The awards would vary based on an ex-player’s age and diagnosis. A younger retiree with Lou Gehrig’s disease would get $5 million, those with serious dementia cases would get $3 million and an 80-year-old with early dementia would get $25,000. Retirees without symptoms would get baseline screening and follow-up care if needed.

“Even if only 10 percent of retired NFL football players eventually receive a qualifying diagnosis,” the judge wrote, “it is difficult to see how the Monetary Award Fund would have the funds available over its lifespan to pay all claimants at these significant award levels.”

She asked for more raw financial data before scheduling a fairness hearing this year, when objectors can question the plan. The objectors could later decide to opt out of it.

Some critics said the NFL, with more than $9 billion in annual revenue, was getting away lightly. But the players’ lawyers said they would face huge challenges just to get the case to trial. They would have to prove the injuries were linked to the players’ NFL service and should not be handled through league arbitration. They could end up with nothing.

Sol Weiss, a lead lawyer for the ex-players, remained confident the class action settlement will ultimately be approved. He said he was confident “that there will be enough money to cover these claims for 65 years.”

More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. They include former Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett and Super Bowl-winning Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon, who suffers from dementia.

The judge’s hand-picked mediator, former federal judge Layn R. Phillips, led several months of negotiations last year and has called the deal fair to both sides.

The settlement would include $675 million for compensatory claims for players with neurological symptoms, $75 million for baseline testing for asymptomatic men and $10 million for medical research and education. The NFL also would pay an additional $112 million to the players’ lawyers for their fees and expenses, for a total payout of nearly $900 million.

The NCAA clause is apparently designed to prevent plaintiffs from double dipping. Feldman said he was unsure why the NFL would insist on that.

Given the judge’s ruling, the two sides could offer more evidence the fund would be stable, change the payout formula or perhaps have the NFL add more money to the pot. Otherwise, they may be left to start over.

“I think it’s a pretty efficient way of doing things, rather than bring it up for the first time at the fairness hearing,” Matt Mitten, who directs the National Sports Law Institute at the Marquette University Law School, said of the judge’s opinion. “Some of these guys need the money right now.”

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus