Fire at U-Md. Dorm Injures 2 Workers

View Comments
Latest News

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (CBSDC/AP) — A fire on the roof of a University of Maryland, College Park dorm has injured two workers.

Prince George’s County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady says a flash fire erupted while the pair was working on a heating and air conditioning unit on the roof of Oakland Hall, a nine-story dormitory on the north end of campus.

Brady says one worker was taken to a hospital in serious condition with possible burns and lacerations that were not considered life-threatening and the other had minor injuries.

Students were told to evacuate the building and to stay away from the area as a precaution, but it has since reopened.

Brady says no students were injured. Most students are currently on winter break until the spring term begins later this month.

(TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,680 other followers