106.7 The Fan All News 99.1 WNEW CBS Sports Radio 1580

Walmart in Laurel Evacuated After Carbon Monoxide Leak

View Comments
The Walmart Supercenter in Laurel was evacuated due to a carbon monoxide leak. (Photo by Jared Ruderman/All-News 99.1 WNEW)

The Walmart Supercenter in Laurel was evacuated due to a carbon monoxide leak. (Photo by Jared Ruderman/All-News 99.1 WNEW)

Latest News

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

Update: Jan. 5, 2014 at 4:25 p.m.
Original: Jan 5, 2014 at 11:26 a.m.

LAUREL, Md. (CBSDC/AP) – Anne Arundel County fire officials say more than 250 people were evacuated from a Wal-Mart in Laurel because of a carbon monoxide leak.

The fire department says firefighters got an unrelated call about an injured employee Sunday morning when they detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide. All customers and employees were escorted out of the store. Employees were allowed to re-enter about 2 hours later.

The department says a malfunctioning heating unit caused the leak. Several units and the gas supply to them were shut off, and the building was ventilated until the CO levels went down.

No one was believed to have been harmed by the CO leak. The injured employee was taken to a hospital.

CO is an odorless, colorless gas that can be fatal in high concentrations.

(TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,595 other followers