Lots of Christmas Movies, and All of Them Free!
Get Breaking News First
‘Twas the week around Christmas
And all through D.C.,
A full schedule of movies,
All of them free!
Some works, more obscure.
But even on Christmas
Something’s playing, for sure.
At libraries, museums,
Even at the Black Cat,
For free movie screenings,
The DMVs where it’s at
So without more ado
For better or worse,
Here are this week’s free movies
Starting Dec. 21st:
- 10am: two hours of classic Christmas cartoons, including Dr. Seuss’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (1966), will play at the historic State Theatre, 311 S. Main St., Culpeper, Va.
- 3:30pm: A teen afterschool film at Tenley-Friendship Library, 4450 Wisconsin Ave., NW. Call (202) 727-1449 for details.
- 7pm: Hellmouth Happy Hour at the Black Cat includes a free screening of an episode of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” This week, it’s “Once More, with Feeling,” from season 6. 1811 14th St., NW.
- 7:30pm: “Miracle on 34th Street” (1947). A Macy’s mall Santa tries to prove to a doubting young girl that he’s the real Kris Kringle. Playing at the Library of Congress Packard Theater, 19053 Mount Pony Rd., Culpeper, Va.
- 2pm: a double feature. “Becoming Traviata” (2012) and, at 4:30, a 50th anniversary screening of Jean-Luc Godard’s “Contempt” (1963). Playing at the National Gallery of Art’s East Building Auditorium, 4th St. and Pennsylvania Ave. NW.
- 2pm: “Babes in Toyland” (1961). Mother Goose characters come to life! Classic Cinema at Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke St., Alexandria, Va.
- 2pm: “La Vita Me Mata” (“Life Kills Me”) (2007). A low-budget moviemaker befriends a morbid drifter at a funeral. Part of the Global Lens film series at Cleveland Park Library, 3310 Connecticut Ave., NW.
- 2pm: “It’s a Wonderful Life” (1946). A desperate man learns how much worse off the world would be if he’d never lived. Playing at the historic State Theatre, 311 S. Main St., Culpeper, Va.
- 8pm: “A Christmas Story” (1983). A young boy wants an air rifle for Christmas. Maybe a little too much. Part of “EatBar’s Holiday Favorites!” at Tallula EatBar, 2761 Washington Blvd., Arlington, Va.
- 8pm: a holiday double-feature at the Black Cat. “Die Hard” (1988) and “Die Hard 2” (1990) playing back to back! 1811 14th St., NW.
- 2pm: “Antonia and Jane” (1991). A look at the love-hate relationship between a couple of old friends. Replays at 6:30pm. A Marvelous Movie Monday at DC’s Chevy Chase Library, 5625 Connecticut Ave., NW.
- 6:30pm: Holiday Movie Night at Francis A. Gregory Library, 3660 Alabama Ave., SE.
- 8pm: “Pajama Tops” (1984). Starring Pia Zadora and Robert Klein in a tribute of sorts to French sex farces. Hosted by the Washington Psychotropic Film Society at McFadden’s, 2401 Pennsylvania Ave, NW.
- 10am: A Christmas movie at Dorothy I. Height/Benning Library, 3935 Benning Rd., NE. Call (202) 281-2583 for details.
- 8pm: “Christmas in South Park” (2000). A holiday celebration straight from the demented minds of Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Playing at the Black Cat, 1811 14th St., NW.
- 2pm: “Peter Pan” (1953). The classic Disney tale of a boy who won’t grow up and the children with whom he flies to Never Land. A family movie at East Columbia Library, 6600 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, Md.
- 2pm: “Monsters University” (2013). How Mike and Sully’s friendship began in college. A family movie at Miller Library, 9421 Frederick Rd., Ellicott City, Md.
- 3pm: “Much Ado About Nothing” (2012). Joss Whedon’s modern-day adaptation of the classic comedy. A Shakespeare film screening at Columbia Pike Library, 816 S. Walter Reed Dr., Arlington, Va.
- 6:30pm: “Love Actually” (2003). Eight couples’ stories of love intersect around the holidays. Part of Blockbuster Thursdays at Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke St., Alexandria, Va.
- 7pm: Dr. Who Happy Hour at the Black Cat. This evening’s episode: “The Impossible Astronaut,” the first episode with Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor. 1811 14th St., NW.
- 7pm: “Sleepless in Seattle” (1993). A woman falls in love with the voice of a widowed man on a call-in radio show. Part of the Merry Mosaic series at the Park at Mosaic, 2910 District Ave., Fairfax, Va.