ANNAPOLIS, Md. (CBSDC/AP) — Despite a rocky start with health care reform, Gov. Martin O’Malley said Thursday he is still aiming to meet the goal of enrolling 260,000 people in private insurance and Medicaid through the state’s health care exchange by the end of March.
O’Malley, outlining how the state is addressing challenges to enrolling people, said most of the problems with the exchange’s website have been addressed. He said a computer glitch relating to tax credits should be fixed this week. A more stubborn problem involves screens freezing, and O’Malley says progress has been made diagnosing the matter.
The state hopes to enroll 150,000 people through private insurance plans and another 110,000 in Medicaid by the end of March when open enrollment closes. As part of Maryland’s initiative, about 81,000 people who participate in the Primary Adult Care Program will automatically be eligible for Medicaid in January. So far, about 5,200 have been enrolled in private insurance plans, and about 16,500 have been enrolled through Medicaid.
“We’ve had a rocky first half, but we look to make up as much ground as we possibly can in the second half,” O’Malley said.
Steady increase in website users to 21,600 from 14,500 two weeks ago pic.twitter.com/MNVwBk5QPU
— Kris Ankarlo (@KrisAnkarlo) December 12, 2013
Click ‘PLAY’ to listen to Kris Ankarlo’s report: