UPDATED: Dec. 11, 2013 1:10 p.m.
ORIGINAL: Dec. 11, 2013 6:06 a.m.

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) — A D.C. police officer facing charges of producing child pornography has died.

Police confirm the man pulled from the Washington Channel at Hains Point in Southwest D.C. is officer Marc Washington.

A man called 911 around 8:15 p.m. Tuesday alerting authorities to an incident at the waterfront, police say.

Washington, of Waldorf, Md., was pulled from the 40-degree water and taken to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead. His vehicle and some clothing were found a short distance from where he was retrieved, police say.

The investigation into his death is ongoing.

Washington, 32, was arrested last week on charges he took nude photos of a missing 15-year-old girl after she returned home.

Prosecutors allege the seven-year veteran of the Metropolitan Police Department went to the girl’s home and spoke with her mother and also requested to speak with the teen alone. Washington is said to have entered the girl’s bedroom and instructed her to remove her shirt and bra so he could photograph any injuries she may have. He is also accused of taking pictures of the lower portion of her body to document her tattoos.

After photographing her breasts and lower body, Washington told her to put her clothes back on.

The girl told her mother about the incident after officer Washington left. The woman then called 911 to report the officer, officials say.

Police say Washington had a digital camera when they spoke to him. Washington attempted to delete several photos, but detectives were able to retrieve pictures of the girl as well as at least two other apparent minors during the investigation, authorities say.

Click ‘play’ below to listen a report on the investigation from WNEW’s John Domen.

Over the objection of prosecutors who asked that he be detained, a federal judge released Washington to permanent home confinement and he was ordered to wear an electronic monitoring device, which he received on Tuesday.

The Pretrial Services Agency for the District of Columbia currently has about 375 defendants under high-intensity supervision, said director Clifford Keenan. He declined to discuss Washington’s case in particular but said the vast majority of those defendants are monitored passively, with the agency alerted to breaches of the supervision system through email or text messages. Notices of breaches that occur at night typically would not be seen until the next business day, he said.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live