Furlough Freebies: Food, Drink and Other Stuff on the House for Federal Workers
Get Breaking News First
LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — Furloughed federal workers can find comfort in specials some Washington-area businesses are offering to those impacted by the government shutdown.
About 800,000 federal employees are furloughed as a result of the government’s first shutdown in 17 years. Some of the deals are for furloughed workers only while others are available to anyone with a government ID.
- Georgetown University’s School of Continuing Studies is offering free professional development courses for furloughed employees.
- The Strathmore cultural and art venue in Bethesda is offering discounted tickets for furloughed workers.
- Antwerpen Automotive is offering furloughed workers a free oil change, tire rotation and multi-point inspection at any Antwerpen Dealership.
- Flying Dog Brewery in Frederick is offering free brewery tours to furloughed government workers who show their federal ID. The tours are Thursdays and Fridays at 4, 5 and 6 p.m. and Saturdays at noon, 1, 3 and 4 p.m. Reservations are not required. Included is a guided tour of the brewery and five beer samples.
- Range restaurant in the District is giving free “Govt Cheese” pizzas to all federal workers — furloughed, or not — with proof of ID. Range owner Bryan Voltaggio says members of Congress are not eligible for the deal.
- The 9:30 Club is offering a buy one, get one free ticket deal for a host of shows in October. The club is cleverly calling the promotion the “Affordable Ticket Act.”
- The Howard Theatre is offering free and half-price tickets to a number of upcoming concerts for furloughed workers with a valid federal ID.
- The Big Bad Woof, an organic and eco-friendly pet store with locations in Takoma Park and Hyattsville, is taking 15 percent off the bill of any federal employee who shows their government ID. The deal is good until the government is up-and-running again or until the end of October, whichever comes first.
- Z-Burger is offering free burgers to furloughed federal government and D.C. government workers with proof of ID at its Tenleytown, Glover Park, Columbia Heights, Southwest D.C., and Arlington locations. The deal is good from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 5 to 7 p.m. until Thursday.
- Sixth & I Historic Synagogue is inviting furloughed workers to spend their time off at its “Shutdown Central.” It will offer free coffee, food and WiFi in addition to ping pong, board games, read materials, and “constant streaming of The West Wing.”
- Mockingbird Hill will give a free glass of sherry to any federal government employee with their ID. The promotion will last as long as the shutdown.
- The Daily Dish in Silver Spring is giving federal employees a free cup of coffee — no purchase necessary — until the shutdown is resolved.
- Pork Barrel BBQ restaurant in Alexandria is giving federal employees one free pulled pork sandwich for every day the shutdown continues. Workers must show their government ID. Members of Congress are excluded from the free sandwich offer.
- Taylor Gourmet is offering a 10 percent discount, a free cookie and free career counseling to government workers with purchase of a salad or hoagie. The deal is good at all D.C.-area locations.
- Cupcake Blvd. in Anne Arundel County is offering one free cupcake to federal employees with their government ID between 1-3 p.m. until Friday.
- Fibre Space is inviting furloughed federal workers to find comfort in knitting. It is offering its intro knitting class — usually a $75 value — to federal workers with their government ID for free during the shutdown.
- Sophie’s Cuban D.C. will give three free empanadas to federal workers who make a purchase and show their government ID on Thursday.