WASHINGTON (CBSDC/AP) — The FBI says Navy Yard gunman Aaron Alexis had a shotgun when he entered a building and got a handgun inside after he started firing.
Valerie Parlave, head of the FBI’s field office in Washington, said Tuesday they don’t have any information that he had an AR-15 assault rifle in his possession.
There has been conflicting information about the weapons Alexis used. Previously, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press the gunman had two handguns he took from officers.
Parlave says Alexis arrived in the Washington area late last month and had been staying at local hotels in the days leading up to the shooting rampage that killed 12 people.
D.C. Cathy Lanier says officers with AR-15s arrived at the building within seven minutes of the call.
Earlier reports of the use of an assault rifle prompted some lawmakers to call for increased gun control and tighter bans on automatic weapons, which are already banned in the District of Columbia.
The 34-year-old was a defense contract employee and former Navy reservist who used a valid pass to get onto the installation and started firing inside a building, killing 12 people before he was slain in a gun battle with police.
U.S. law enforcement officials tell The Associated Press that Alexis had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.
(TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)