LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — The National Park Service has issued a list of prohibited items on the National Mall for the 50th Anniversary of the The March on Washington.
* Animals other than helper/guide dogs
* Bags and signs exceeding size restrictions (8″x6″x4″)
* Glass or thermal containers
* Laser pointers
* Mace / Pepper spray
* Supports for signs and placards
* Weapons of any kind
Visitors are being encouraged to prepare for warm weather, large crowds and a long day. The following safety tips have been distributed by NPS:
* Bring enough food and water for the entire day
* Drink plenty of water even when not thirsty
* Wear weather-appropriate clothing
* Use sunscreen
* Minimize consumption of beverages containing caffeine or alcohol
* Eat throughout the day
* Take frequent shade breaks
* Periodically get out of the heat and into air conditioning, especially between the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
* Reduce exertion during the hottest hours
* Bring extra medication
A water bottle filling station will be available on-site.