SILVER SPRING, Md. (CBSDC) — Ten people were injured and more than 100 displaced after a fire ripped through an apartment building in Silver Spring on Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters were called around 3:45 p.m. to the two-alarm fire, which burned from the first floor through the roof of the Forest Park apartment building in the 9300 block of Piney Branch Road. Several people were trapped on a balcony in the building and were rescued by fire rescue personnel.
It took more than 100 firefighters from Montgomery, Prince George’s and Howard counties, as well as the District, more than two hours to get the blaze under control. Piney Branch Road was closed between Carroll Avenue and New Hampshire Avenue for much of the evening commute.
Three firefighters and seven others were taken to the hospital, all with non life-threatening injuries. More than 100 people are displaced from the fire that gutted 18 units in the building, according to Montgomery County Fire spokesman Scott Graham.
The American Red Cross has set up temporary operations at the Long Branch Community Recreation Center to assist residents displaced by the apartment fire.
Investigators believe the fire started when a bed-side electrical socket ignited a mattress, and the blaze spread to the upper floors through the building’s pipes.
Officials estimate the fire caused $1 million in structural damage to the building, as well as about $500,000 in contents inside the building, according to Graham.