MLB Hands Down Suspensions in PED Scandal
LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC/AP) — Alex Rodriguez was suspended through 2014 and All-Stars Nelson Cruz, Jhonny Peralta and Everth Cabrera were banned 50 games apiece Monday when Major League Baseball disciplined 13 players in a drug case — the most sweeping punishment since the Black Sox scandal nearly a century ago.
Washington Nationals pitcher Gio Gonzalez and Baltimore Orioles third baseman Danny Valencia are not among the list as predicted by FOX Sports MLB insider Ken Rosenthal.
Valencia has served primarily in a designated hitter capacity this season while also spending time in Triple-A Norfolk.
Bartolo Colon of the Oakland A’s, Melky Cabrera of the Toronto Blue Jays, and Yasmani Grandal of the San Diego Padres have served 50-game suspensions already and will not receive further punishment, according to the the report.
Ryan Braun’s 65-game suspension last month and previous punishments bring to 18 the total number of players disciplined for their relationship to Biogenesis of America, a closed anti-aging clinic in Florida accused of distributing banned performing-enhancing drugs.
The harshest penalty was reserved for Rodriguez, a three-time Most Valuable Player and baseball’s highest-paid star. His suspension covers 211 games, starting Thursday, and he is expected to appeal.
The New York Yankees slugger admitted four years ago that he used performance-enhancing drugs while with Texas from 2001-03 but has repeatedly denied using them since.
Rodriguez was suspended under both the drug agreement and labor contract.
MLB said the drug penalty was for “his use and possession of numerous forms of prohibited performance-enhancing substances, including testosterone and human growth hormone over the course of multiple years.”
His penalty under the labor contract was “for attempting to cover up his violations of the program by engaging in a course of conduct intended to obstruct and frustrate the office of the commissioner’s investigation.”
Rodriguez has until Thursday to appeal, and if he does so, he will remain eligible to play until a decision by the arbitrator.
“Those players who have violated the program have created scrutiny for the vast majority of our players, who play the game the right way,” baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said. “We continue to attack this issue on every front — from science and research, to education and awareness, to fact-finding and investigative skills.”
The following players have accepted 50-game suspensions according to Rosenthal:
Antonio Bastardo – Philadelphia Phlllies
Everth Cabrera – San Diego Padres
Francisco Cervelli – New York Yankees
Nelson Cruz – Texas Rangers
Fautino De Los Santos – San Diego Padres
Sergio Escalona – Houston Astros
Fernando Martinez – New York Yankees
Jesus Montero – Seattle Mariners
Jordan Norberto – Free Agent
Jhonny Peralta – Detroit Tigers
Cesar Puello – New York Mets
Jordany Valdespin – New York Mets
Follow 106.7 The Fan on Twitter.
(TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)