Powerball Jackpot Swells to $400 Million After No Weekend Winner
Get Breaking News First
DES MOINES, Iowa — No one hit the Powerball jackpot this weekend, so the money will roll over and create a roughly $400 million prize for Wednesday’s drawing.
The midweek jackpot remains below the record $590.5 million jackpot won in May by an 84-year-old Florida woman. But as it stands, it would be the third-largest Powerball jackpot ever and the fourth-largest lottery prize on record.
Saturday’s winning numbers were 21, 24, 36, 42 and 45; the Powerball was 15.
The changes Powerball organizers made to the game last year are coming to roost in the billowing jackpots, with Wednesday’s pushing into record territory less than three months after Gloria C. Mackenzie of Zephyrhills, Fla., claimed the biggest Powerball prize ever.
Powerball tickets doubled in price to $2 in January 2012 as part of a plan to help jackpots grow bigger, faster. And when the jackpots reach astronomical levels, ticket sales take off, with jackpots following close behind.
If Wednesday’s jackpot doesn’t top $400 million, a single winner choosing the cash option would collect $230.3 million before taxes.
No matter how many people play the game, the odds of matching all six numbers remains 1 in 175.2 million.
Half of the $2 cost of a Powerball ticket goes toward the prizes, the rest to the state lottery organization.
Powerball is played in 43 states, Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Each state that participates in the game decides how to use the money. Some states earmark the money for a specific purpose, such as education, while others use it in their general funds.
Wednesday night’s drawing is predicted to be at least $400 million, which would put it in the top five of the largest lottery jackpots of all time.
Here’s a look at the world’s 10 highest jackpots and where the winners were from:
1. $656.0 million, Mega Millions, March 30, 2012 (3 tickets from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland)
2. $590.5 million, Powerball, May 18, 2013 (1 ticket from Florida)
3. $587.5 million, Powerball, Nov. 28, 2012 (2 tickets from Arizona and Missouri)
4. $400 million, Powerball, (drawing scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 7; jackpot could grow)
5. $390.0 million, Mega Millions, March 6, 2007 (2 tickets from Georgia and New Jersey)
6. $380.0 million, Mega Millions, Jan. 4, 2011 (2 tickets from Idaho and Washington)
7. $365.0 million, Powerball, Feb. 18, 2006 (1 ticket from Nebraska)
8. $363.0 million, The Big Game, May 9, 2000 (2 tickets from Illinois and Michigan)
9. $340.0 million, Powerball, Oct. 19, 2005 (1 ticket from Oregon)
10. $338.3 million, Powerball, March 23, 2013 (1 ticket from New Jersey)
Follow WNEW on Twitter.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)