Officials Kept Mum About Water Crisis Fix Plan in Prince George’s County

View Comments
Crews work to repair a water pipe in Prince George's County on Wednesday, July 17, 2013. (Photo credit: Kevin Rincon/All-News 99.1 WNEW)

Crews work to repair a water pipe in Prince George’s County on Wednesday, July 17, 2013. (Photo credit: Kevin Rincon/All-News 99.1 WNEW)

Latest News

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

OXON HILL, Md. (CBSDC/AP) — Water officials in Maryland knew that they may have averted a crisis that threatened to leave hundreds of thousands of people without water for days, but they kept mum for hours to ensure their fix worked.

Water officials at the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission said they kept silent about efforts to fix a stuck valve they knew could divert water to the affected area and avoid the crisis because they thought it was unlikely to work.

The fix announced Wednesday around noon means that approximately 200,000 residents and businesses in southern Prince George’s County are under mandatory water restrictions while repairs to a major water main take place, but the area won’t run out of water as previously announced.

View Interactive Map of Impacted Areas

Spokesman I.J. Hudson said he believes crews closed the valve at about 6:40 p.m. Tuesday, approximately 17 hours before the fix was announced to the public. Hudson says officials weren’t sure the repaired valve would hold and were afraid sharing the good news would keep residents from taking the crisis seriously and conserving water as they were told to.

Officials put areas of southern Prince George’s County under water restrictions beginning 9 p.m. Tuesday. Residents were told to postpone using dishwashers and washing machines, to limit flushing toilets and to take short showers. They were also told the water would eventually run out during repairs on the pipe and to expect the outage to last days.

WSSC spokesman Jerry Irvine said Thursday that repair crews were able to pull “something off that no one thought was possible” when they were able to divert water to the affected area.

Irvine said officials had to proceed with the high probability that the fix wouldn’t work and that no one thought the water diversion “was going to be a viable option.” Irvine said that’s why county officials weren’t told.

“There was still a lot of uncertainty that that fix was going to be viable,” Irvine said of workers’ ability to close the valve.

Repairs, meanwhile, were on schedule Thursday. Officials said they have now removed the failing section of 4 ½-foot pipe and installed a new one. Once the repairs are complete, workers will have to perform water quality tests before returning the pipe to service.

Other businesses in the county, meanwhile, were returning to normal operations while working under water restrictions. Joint Base Andrews, the home to Air Force One, which had moved to essential operations only on Wednesday in anticipation of the water crisis was back to normal. And the hotel at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center at National Harbor, which had closed on Wednesday, was also open Thursday.

MANDATORY RESTRICTIONS
1. Stop all outside water use – no watering lawns, shrubs, flowers; no washing cars, no topping off swimming pools
2. Use water only as necessary – i.e., shorter showers and turn off faucets after washing hands
3. Limit flushing toilets (do not flush after every use)
4. Postpone using washing machines and dishwashers

Follow WNEW on Twitter.

(TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,651 other followers