Happy Friday! It’s National Donut Day
Get Breaking News First
LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) – Friday, June 7 is National Donut Day, which means many will be flocking to their local donut shop for a sweet, deep-fried treat.
National Donut day was created by the Chicago Salvation Army as a way to honor the “Donut Lassies” of World War I.
These “lassies” were the women who volunteered with the Salvation Army and served donuts to the soldiers on the front lines.
Donuts got their start in Europe but thanks to the war and women volunteers, U.S. soldiers adopted a taste for them. After the war ended, they brought their love and recipes for the sweet snack back to the United States.
Hungry? Here’s a few donut shops that are participating:
- Krispy Kreme is offering a free donut to everyone on Friday with no purchase necessary.
- Dunkin Donuts will offer a free donut with the purchase of a beverage on Friday.
- LaMar’s Donuts is giving away free donuts Friday with no purchase necessary, and a portion of this week’s sales are being donated to The Salvation Army.
- Print this Facebook coupon, and you can get a free donut at Tim Hortons with any purchase on Friday.
- From now through June 15, Entenmann’s is donating $1 to the Salvation Army for every ‘like’ they got on the company’s Facebook page. It has also launched a Donut Day sweepstakes, where 100 winners will receive free Entenmann’s donuts for a year. (Hundreds of other prizes are offered as well.)
Enjoy the sweets!
Follow WNEW on Twitter.